As the seasons change and the temperature drops, we need to adapt our skincare regime accordingly.
Winter time can be particularly harsh on the skin as we switch between the cold air outside and central heating indoors. Your skin cells dehydrate and dry out faster in winter. Chapped lips, cracked hands and flaky skin are all a result of dry winter weather.
When the skin is dry, the skin cells don’t shed as they should and the skin can look dull and lacklustre.
One of the best ways you can remove patches of dull, dry skin to reveal softer, smoother-looking skin is exfoliation.
Exfoliation replenishes the skin by removing the dry, dead skin cells which benefits the skin in the following ways
- Prevents bacteria build up and clears clogged pores
- Removing the dead skin cells encourages new healthier cells to form which brightens the skin
- Dry, dead skin cells can block moisture from penetrating the skin which means your moisturiser doesn’t work as well. Scrubbing away those old cells means that moisture can get to the new skin cells to keep them hydrated and nourished.
- Long-term exfoliating boosts circulation and can increase collagen production. Collagen is key to glowing, vibrant skin. The protein also promotes skin elasticity, minimising the appearance of fine lines and related sagging.
HOW TO EXFOLIATE
Use a gentle cleanser like our cleanse balm or refine oil cleanser to wash off any makeup or dirt from the surface of your skin, using a face cloth or muslin. Use lukewarm water as hot water can dry the skin out and can also cause irritation. While skin is still damp, apply exfoliator and use your fingers to massage the scrub all over your face in small, circular motions, rinse using lukewarm water and gently pat your face dry. Apply face oil or moisturiser immediately to soothe and hydrate your skin. You may need to use more than usual after exfoliation to ensure the skin gets all the moisture it needs.
We recommend exfoliating twice a week during the winter however always listen to your skin and treat when necessary.
We have 3 different products which exfoliate the skin
- Organic Cotton Muslin cloth - due to a double layer of organic cotton muslin, the netted texture gently exfoliates your skin whilst cleansing and is fantastic at opening up your skin's pores.Simply soak the cloth in warm water and remove product from skin with small gentle circular motion. This is suitable for the most sensitive of skin.
- Glow Exfoliator has 3 key ingredients to hydrate and brighten the skin. While the Sugar gently removes the dead skin cells, it also acts as a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. Almond and apricot oils moisturise and condition the skin to promote a healthy youthful, smoother complexion. We have also added vitamin C to this product to brighten the skin, boost circulation and to promote cell growth
- Clarify Clay Mask is a deep cleansing and detoxifying skin treatment which exfoliates and draws out impurities while stimulating the skin. The clay works as a mild exfoliant, refining the surface of the complexion without irritating it to reveal softened, purified and clarified skin, and can also reduce pore size.
Exfoliation is the secret skincare tool to replenish dry winter skin.
You can read more about the skin here.
Image @Unsplash by Joshua Fuller